Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Kitchen Cabinet With A New Life

When my Mom removed a big cabinet from her kitchen...I snatched it up! I knew I could use the extra storage, it was just a matter of deciding what to do with it and where I would put it. Well, first it was by my front door for shoe storage. Now It has found a new place in our play room. It is the best toy storage I have ever had. Let me tell you how I did it. (Please note I built this a while back so I went on a hunt to take pictures of stuff I had as examples. I almost have enough stuff to build one more...hmmmm, where to put it?)


What you need:
-An old kitchen, bathroom, or garage cabinet. Whatever you can find.



-A piece of wood that is about 1/2 inch longer and wider than the top of your cabinet
-button feet (from Lowes)

-wood glue (love gorilla glue)
-your favorite color of paint
-sand paper
-drill

What to do:

What I did first was clean up my cabinet and paint all my pieces so all I had to do was put it together.

Next, I drilled holes in the bottom of the cabinet for the button feet to screw in. I added a dab of glue and let the weight of the cabinet hold them in place.



Then, I ran a bead of glue along the top of the cabinet and placed the piece of wood on top of it letting the extra hang over the sides evenly and the front so it has a little lip.


Once the glue all dried, I added another coat of paint and sanded the edges to give it the aged look.


So simple! It's perfect.

I'm linking up to:

Shanty 2 Chic


Shabby Chic Cottage

Creations By Kara: Look what I made... PARTY!



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special




Bobbypins Boardwalk Bragfest

This project was featured on:

33 comments:

  1. That looks terrific, and I even have a few spare cabinets in my barn that are just waiting for a make-over. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea for use of an old kitchen cabinet. I'll have to remember this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I could use something like this in my 4th grade classroom!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great use of a cabinet! I'd love if you linked this up to my Power of Paint Party on Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Great paint job too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly, how smart is that. Love the distressing - it looks like that is what it was meant to be....I'm so inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who would have thought it came from a kitchen, because you cant tell at all! Amazing! love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great reuse! Looks like a piece of furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow what a great idea...and nice addition....thanks for visiting my post also...good luck on your oink tools...

    http://deedeescraftspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is the greatest idea! I would love something like this and would have never thought to use a cabinet.

    -Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great idea and it turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go! Your kitchen looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks great! Glad I found you- Krista

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, especially the addition of the feet, it looks like something right out of the
    Pottery Barn catalog

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful!! What a transformation!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love what you did! I am fond of black paint - it takes anything from blah to fabulous and sharp!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful! You'd never even make out what it originally was. Love the addition of the feet.

    Thanks for linking up to SNS!

    FJ Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh, I love it!! Such a great idea, and it looks just beautiful. Now I just need to talk someone into giving me one of their cabinets. ;)

    Thanks for joining my linky party BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How smart and how beautiful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, that's just brilliant. So creative. I am in love.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's fabulous! It looks like you paid big bucks for it. Great job of getting it all together for a tutorial. Thank you for sharing this project at the boardwalk bragfest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great job. I have done that too. Don't you love distressed items? You did an amazing job on the distressing.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete
  23. You did a great job with this one! Fantastic transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh I love what you did to the cabinets. What a great way to utilize them!

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea. You did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ARE YOU SERIOUS? I Can't believe it! What an amazing idea! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it! Fantastic idea for a buffet, kitchen island or cabinet. It looks Great!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 Cinnaberry Suite