Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"Suitening" up some APPles

Look what I got...YAY!


I have to tell you, we know some pretty fabulous people. One of those FABULOUS PEOPLES gave me LOTS of yummy homegrown apples. Are we happy?! OH YES! I "suitened" up a bag of these babies today and canned ME some Apple Pie Filling.
7 quart jars to be exact!
Thought I would share the recipe I used. It turned out super yummy!
(This was the first time I have canned ALL ALONE! I did it! Well, I guess I did have a little help!)

6 - 8 pounds of apples (enough to tightly pack into 7 quart jars)
2 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup of quick cooking tapioca
2 Tbsp. vinegar
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. salt
5 cups water
5 cups apple juice

Mix sugar, brown sugar, tapioca, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together in a bowl.

(Just in case you don't know, this is what a box of tapioca looks like. I found mine at Walmart, it was cheaper than using the clear gel stuff)


In a large stock pot add vinegar, apple juice and water.
Cook on medium high heat. As liquid begins to warm pour in sugar mixture, stirring
WELL to get the tapioca to plump and to keep it from sticking to the pot.
Cook until it comes to a rapid boil that wont stir down. Boil for 2 minutes. It should turn into a thick syrup.
(Sorry no more pictures! This step of the recipe goes fast and I didn't have enough hands to do the camera too.)
Pack lots of apples into hot jars tightly.
Ladle the hot filling into the jars of apples.
Using a wooden or plastic utensil, poke around in your apples to release the air bubbles and to help the filling get down to the bottom and in between all the apples. Finish filling each jar with additional filling leaving at least 1/2-inch
head space. Filling will expand a bit during
processing. Wipe the tops clean
(I use a disposable paper towel) Adjust hot
lids to top of jars.
Tighten bands with finger tips and process in boiling water
bath for 25 minutes.

Here they are! They get to sit and rest for 24 hrs so they can seal. My favorite sound is the little pop you hear when it seals. Guess what?! THEY ALL SEALED. WOO HOO!
Here, go ahead and take a gander. They are so pretty!

You know how I love jars!

Especially filled with something yummy!

Not only was this a lot of fun, I was able to put some of Grandmas jars and her other canning tools to good use. I could almost sense her here with me for a little while. She always loved homemade and handmade stuff. I hope I make her proud. Love you and miss you Grandma. You are always here with me and I can feel it! Hope you have a fabulous day everyone! Oh, and here's to a HAPPY FALL!

5 comments:

  1. Jen! So I kind of am embarrassed to admit this but I literally just drooled a little! I think that you should do a giveaway and give a jar or two away (that is if you can part with them)

    love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pop sound too! It is very satisfying, especially when you do it all by yourself!! Job well done! They look amazing and oh so yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen!
    I just posted the youtube link to my blog so you should be able to see it! Please let me know if you cant!

    love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. So wish that I was closer and you could make me a apple pie and bring it over to my house. We could trade-I would give you a "creepy critter confectionary" for a pie.
    That would so be fair-right?
    Really-anytime you want to come and visit Utah-let me know. We could go shopping!! It would be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also canned my apple pie filling this year for the first time, but when I boiled the jars, the filling spilled over the top, causing the jars to not seal. Can you give tips on how to prevent this? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 Cinnaberry Suite