Saturday, August 18, 2012

Oh.My. {Suite}. Fort Kit

One of my happiest childhood memories you ask???
 Building a HUGE fort in the middle of our Family Room
out of sheets.
It was the best place for Barbie tea parties.
Oh, and the far corner in the back...
PERFECT place for a nursery for my cabbage patch dolls.

Awww...what I would give to be a kid again.

Why all the reminiscing??
Well, I stumbled upon something totally fabulous on Salt-water Kids.


Ever since my "stumble"...
 I've been able to spread the love.
Some of my most favorite little peeps can make their own fort memories now too.

THE BEST!!
It's a..
FORT KIT!!!
Like I said, I was inspired (here).

What goes in it:
Small suction cups
These are used to stick to windows or whatever they will stick to.
I found these at Target for about $3.



Clothes Line
This is used to hang the sheet from.
Or get creative :)
Dollar Tree $1

1 pkg of clothes pins
Used to pin the sheets to the line or your brothers nose :)
OUCH!! 
Found these at Target...$2 ish 


 Cute matching flashlight
the possibilities are endless.
Make it fun.
You could add glow sticks, stars,
lantern, you get where I'm going with this :)

Clamps
They sell a large bag of these all different sizes, Walmart :)
These would REALLY hurt your brother's nose.

Flat Sheets
2 or more
save the little bag the sheets come in.
Then you can use it to put all the fun little parts to you kit in it.


Here's how to put it together:
Step 1: Make your ties
  Cut one of your hubby's old lonely shirts into strip.


Pull each end of the strips tight so they end up curling into a nice clean rope.  Add a knot to each end.

Do this 14 times.

Step 2: Sew strip onto the sheets:
Fold each string in half and sew them on with a super crazy stitch back and forth until you know they are on there good.


It ends up looking like this.
Sew it right through the middle of the string so there is a loop on top and then some of the string hanging down.
This way the clothes line can be pulled through the loops to hang the sheet when building the fort. 
Add a loop to all four corners of the sheets and half way down each side and one right in the middle of the sheet.
For a visual, check out the Salt-Water Kids tut. 

Step 3: The bag it goes in
You can sew your own bag or buy one.
The bag can be sewn from another sheet, OR I just used the rest of the "lonely" shirt and a pair of old jeans to whip up a bag.

To top it all off,
add a cute little tag.


You're all done.
Isn't that the coolest thing EVER?!?!
The best part was seeing them in action!
Here are a few pictures my friend sent to my phone.

One fort kit..


This is what you can do with TWO fort kits!
Aren't they the cutest?!?!


It's so much fun to see these little peeps building forts and LOTS of memories!!
Happy building :)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! This is the cutest thing ever! What a great idea for Christmas presents too! I think my nieces and nephews and my kids too of course will be getting these. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I absolutely LOVE this idea! and I love the colors you used:) I would like to make this for my nephews for Christmas. I was wondering if you would email me your darling tag? I could never design such a cute one! I will post about this on my blog and link back to you! Thanks so much!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS my email is melamdboys@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I saw a link to this post on pinterest! I took the idea and ran with it! I am so happy with how it turned out! THANK YOU for sharing this idea and all of the links to others' ideas for this. I can't wait for our daughter to see this on Christmas morning!

    I wrote a blog post about it (and a few other handmade gifts we've been creating). Just wanted to say thanks and share our own take on the fort kit! I was also able to find all of the things needed at the Dollar store except the clothesline and clamps.

    http://roomforatleastonemore.com/2012/12/20/handmade-christmas/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2012 Cinnaberry Suite